Brigit and Shawn - Ed Davis Park Wedding

From the Bride:

To take you back a bit when I met my darling husband I had no idea that this would be the man I was going to jump out of an airplane for (more on that later), let alone marry. To get the whole picture let’s take it back to the year 2006. Shawn and I met working at Lowe’s Hardware Store, I was a cashier and he worked in plumbing. As much as I hate to admit and Shawn hates hearing it, but when I first made eyes with Shawn I had no interest, but for him it was a whole different story. After some time working in the same store we finally bumped into one another and once we did, let me just say it felt like it was a scene from a movie. Shawn paused and looked right into my eyes like no man has ever done before and just stared at me. I—of course—snapped him out of it by asking, “Hello, can I help you?” and he responded by asking, “Do you work here?” I then looked at him like he had a problem and walked away. I thought to myself,  My vest clearly states that I work here, what a weirdo. But I will never forget that moment and the way he made eyes at me. I know how cheesy this sounds but he made me feel like the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Shawn—to this day—remembers that story and can even tell you the exact aisle number it was where we officially met.
As time went on, we quickly became inseparable. We talked every day, watched movies, and even made a fun trip to Six Flags Halloween Fright Fest. It was after that night that we couldn’t deny that this was more than a friendship. It got to the point that when I had an opening shift and he had a closing shift I would make sure that as I was falling asleep my phone was on "loud" and right next to my ear so I wouldn’t miss a phone call from him. We became "official" that following year on Valentine’s Day. Shawn closed the store and said he would come over after work. When he called me and said he was outside, I ran to let him in. As I opened the door standing in front of me was a giant stuffed Gorilla (which I still have today) and flowers. Who wouldn’t fall in love after that?


Years went on and Shawn and I made a plan. We were going to save up, buy a house, get married, and start a family. Well our life goals were going accordingly. We were able to save more than enough to purchase our 1st house together in 2013. A proud victory we call it. Months went on and still no ring, I was getting a little worried and didn’t want to bring it up because I remembered Shawn telling me it would happen after we bought our house. So I waited patiently. 

June came around and Shawn was turning 25 years old so I wanted to buy him something special, something that would make his 25th memorable. My girlfriend at work had just gone skydiving for her birthday so I thought why not suck up the fear and take the plunge. My adrenaline kicked in, so I went on their website and purchased a gift card. To make things a little more surprising I planted a little scavenger hunt around and outside our house for Shawn to find what it was I had gotten him. As he finally came to the last clue, he was instructed to go to loft of house and go towards the front of the railing that had a bag on it and to let the bag go. Once he let it go he still wasn’t sure what it was, but a little insight when he let the bag go from the loft, the bag inflated like a parachute with a little army man attached to it. So once he went back down the stairs to retrieve his gift, I had a little note that I had written, WE'RE GOING SKYDIVING!!! He looked up at me and was shocked, speechless, and super surprised. Surprised because when I met him he asked me if I would ever do such a thing and me being afraid of planes and heights you can imagine what my answer would be, “HELL NO” but with some contemplation I decided to go through with it because I knew it would be something I would regret if I didn’t try, so I booked our flights and we were set to jump out of an airplane from 13,000ft on July 5th 2013 in Sunnyside Santa Barbara.

The morning came and after doing some unnecessary research about what can go wrong while skydiving and watching a video of an 80 year-old lady going skydiving and holding her harness for dear life, I was ready to go. We finally arrived and made sure to pay for a video of our jumps because let’s face it, we knew mine was going to be hilarious, since I was still a little hesitant about this whole idea. Minutes later, there we were harnessing up and going over the safety regulations with our instructors. They interviewed both of us asking what brought us here today and I of course said, “My lovely boyfriend".  I also made sure I wore a shirt that said I love my boyfriend. Shawn replied, “This was a birthday gift for my 25th birthday”. After that we headed towards the plane, but for some odd reason Shawn was called out of line and back into the airplane hangar because they forgot something. Right then and then I was having a panic attack, asking my instructor, "Do we have everything like our parachute? Is my harness on tight enough?" He laughed but assured me everything was good. So into the plane I went and in came Shawn seconds later. 
I made him go first because Hey! This was a gift for him! Our elevation levels rose and we finally reached the 13,000ft mark and got ready to jump. They opened the gate and all of a sudden I felt and heard that gust of wind pass through the plane. (at this point I had mixed feelings rushing through my body, excitement, nervousness, anxious, and second thoughts, but still kept an open mind) Shawn’s time was up, so he and his instructor started to scoot up so they could begin their journey. They then started counting down from three and the next thing Shawn was gone and my turn was up. I will admit when I saw Shawn jump, I was so worried and just couldn’t wait to see him on the ground. Here I go, my instructor and I get to the door and started the count down from 3, 2, 1 and then we're falling. I thought it was going to feel like a free fall but it was more of a weightless feeling, kind of like swimming in a pool. It was the best experience ever and I was having the time of my life. The minute of free-fall was up and it was the moment I had been waiting for, will my chute open? It did. The chute opened and I took in in the beautiful view of Santa Barbara and beyond from all regions. It was so beautiful and enjoyable. It's definitely something that everyone has to try. Our time in the air was limited and as we were getting ready to land, I could see from a distance a banner laid out on the ground right next to our landing site. I was so focused on the landing that my instructor was the one who told me, “I hear that banner down there is for you”.  I couldn’t believe my eyes and was so ready to touch the ground that I couldn't focus. Once I looked at it I was shocked. The banner spelled out the words “WILL YOU MARRY ME?" Once we touched ground Shawn rushed to me and right then and there he got down on one knee, opened that red box with this shiny beautiful ring and asked “Brigit, will you marry me?" I couldn’t even answer with a "yes" or "no", but instead I nodded and leapt into his arms and gave him the biggest kiss I could give him. I didn’t want let go. I was so surprised! This was so unexpected and well-executed, that right then I felt like the luckiest girl alive. It was so surprising, I mean I was so focused on landing safely, it didn’t occur to me that this was the moment that was going to start our wonderful journey together. I am so thankful for the thought Shawn put into his proposal and we got the whole thing on video. The best part of this story is that when we first began dating I had asked him,  "Do you have any idea how you would propose to me?" and ever since that day, he knew this was how he wanted to go about it, the hardest part was trying to convince me to take the plunge. 
 It was then after that, that June 14, 2014 was a day we said our vows and promised to love and honor each other thru thick and thin till death do us part. With our life going as planned, we have now been married for 7 months and now are expecting our first baby. We will be having a baby girl due this spring, 2015. I truly feel blessed to have such a great man in my life and couldn’t be happier and excited about our future together. 

Believe in the saying “opposites attract” as it can start a wonderful journey. 

Here are a few photos from their beautiful day:




































































No comments:

Post a Comment